EarthLore is looking to appoint a full-time Bookkeeper to join our small enthusiastic team, based in our Braamfontein office. Johannesburg, Gauteng.
EarthLore is a nonprofit NGO working to preserve and revive indigenous seed and traditional farming practices, facilitating and encouraging intergenerational learning, and rebuilding confidence in the value of indigenous knowledge systems in South Africa and Zimbabwe. EarthLore encourages bio-diversity and cultural diversity and works to strengthen local communities in ecological governance by reviving sacred natural sites.
Our Bookkeeper will be required to plan, manage and report on all financial operations associated with EarthLore’s Programme and ensure compliance with all statutory and donor requirements, and to assist the team with diverse general administrative and office tasks.
Status date: As soon as possible.
- Day-to-day book keeping of all programme income and expenditure using Pastel accounting software;
- Managing programme financial policies, systems and controls to ensure safeguarding and effective use of resources;
- Assisting in preparing Programme budgets and contributing to the EarthLore’s organisational budget;
- Managing programme budgets, ensuring project activities are carried out within budget in line with donor restrictions;
- Management of EarthLore bank accounts, petty cash and cash flow;
- Preparing monthly financial activity reports and analysis;
- Liaising with and preparing documentation for EarthLore’s auditors;
- Contributing to the preparation of financial reports to donors;
- Supporting the team with administrative and logistical operations throughout programme activities;
- Ensuring programme wide compliance with donor terms and conditions.
- Highly numerate with good knowledge of book keeping;
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets and conduct financial analysis;
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of Pastel Partner accounting software;
- Exceptional organisational and administration skills with a logical, systematic approach to work and attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- A professional, self-motivated, self-starter with the ability to use his/her own initiative;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity;
- Accountancy/Bookkeeping qualification;
- Experience in compliance with donor rules relevant but not a requisite;
- Understanding of and experience in areas of EarthLore’s work.
- Additional on-the-job support will be given to less experienced but suitable candidates
The gross salary will be based on current market rates depending on experience.
To apply, submit a CV and a one page motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 November 2017.
The motivation letter should respond to the following questions:
- What attracts me to work for EarthLore?
- What skills, abilities, interest, and experience do I have to contribute to EarthLore’s work?
- What appeals to me about being part of a small team where I will be required to do a diversity of tasks in addition to my bookkeeping/accountancy functions?